Saturday, December 11, 2010

108 Sugar Cookies Later

Well, I've realized a few things from hosting my first cookie decorating party for 10 kids (all five years old and under) plus 5 mommies (no ages will be mentioned):

Let's start with the baking side of things...
I found these little diddys at the store recently and thought that I would buy some pre-made cookies (4 packages) as well as make some others. Well, for $2.50 a package you can't beat the price but I was disappointed with the size of the cookies. They were quite small and thin which made it difficult to cook them without drying them out. Also, there was so much left over dough from each package that I ended up rolling it out and cutting some myself. On a positive note, they were a great size for little hands to decorate and eat. 


These were perfect! So easy to whip up-just add butter and 1 egg. I hand rolled the dough out and cut them nice and thick. They came out tasty, and most importantly, soft and moist unlike the other ones. Plus they were regular size cookies so everyone big and small enjoyed eating these ones up.  
I haven't mastered the art of making homemade dough...tried that last year and they turned out too salty (my little sous chef didn't seem to notice after all the sugar was on top), plus this year I needed A LOT of cookies all at once.

So Taylor and I enjoyed baking, cutting, baking, and cutting in preparation for the party...





Now for the party side of things:

We had every color of holiday sprinkle, mimi m&m's, mini chocolate chips, and yummy icing in every color and flavor. The kids did SO well decorating a few and then eating them up just as quick! The sugar high afterwards was apparent as everyone moved outside for some HYPER playtime. Let's do it all again next year girls!

I got most of the gang in this picture.
mmmmmmmm....delicious!
Very serious about her cookie making...you have to choose just the right toppings!
I think I need a little more of that sugar stuff on top...
New friends joined us for the afternoon of fun!
Graham vs. Taylor and our sweet cheerleader!

Where am I and what's going on???
Tag you're it!

Even the little ones know how to party!
Can I EAT one now!?!
The few I managed to decorate before the party was over.

Happy Holiday Cookie Decorating!

2 comments:

Sara said...

That was a super fun play date/party! Thanks for making all those cookies for us!

MySanSouci said...

So much fun! Thanks for baking!