Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ornaments

When Andrew and I started dating, over ten years ago, I started collecting a few Christmas tree ornaments each year. It became a special tradition to find the perfect ornament that summed up the entire year. To remember each ornament's year, I simply write the date on the bottom with a sharpie. I've always had a dream of one day having a Christmas Tree filled with little figures that individually tell a story of years past. I value a personal "memory" tree around the holidays over a staged "don't touch", just-look tree. I love the beauty and magnitude of those "don't touch" trees and always think about how to go about creating one, but as soon as that thought enters my mind it leaves just as quickly as it entered. One day in the way distant future, when the year brings us an empty nest, but our children return for the holidays, I'll look forward to them putting up the ornaments and remembering the special memories that are attached to each and every one.

Here's a trip down memory lane with some old favorites and this years new additions...

Our first Christmas together-time capsule with memories from that year inside.
Our first married Christmas together.
Andrew's 30th birthday trip to Catalina Island with his family-unforgetable.
First year in Austin, Texas.
A special gift from a student.
Taylor's pick this year-he loves John Deere!
In memory of Reily.
In memory of Abby.
Another Taylor pick this year-1st airplane trip this year.
Our first school-made ornament!

*Note to readers...Taylor's first Christmas ornament is missing-I've looked up and down our tree and I can't find it anywhere. I know it couldn't have gone far...I know this because I did see it this year while we were decorating the tree together. It's either become a special treasure in our sons room somewhere or it accidentally fell off the tree and now resides under the mountain of presents that have continued to grow from beneath the tree...

Hopefully it will find it's way back home SOON!

1 comment:

MySanSouci said...

I love the first handmade ornament snowman. What sweet memories lie in your ornaments!