Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One of Nine Lives?

Abbey, our 11 year old cat is sick. Over the past several months, Abbey has been rapidly loosing weight and continually wanting to drink more and more water. After a trip to Dr. Terrells vet office, a kitty-cat diagnosis has been made. Abbey has kidney failure and probably will only be with us a year longer, if that. Abbey is my first and only "little girl" and a sweet one at that. Supposedly, kidney failure is a common thing amongst older cats. The only thing that we can do for her at this stage is feed her special food and hook her up to an IV (at home) every other day for a "fluid boost". The later of the two is tough to watch but luckily Andrew is able to fill the role of doctor and Abbey seems to take to it okay. I've never lost a pet, so this is new territory for me... at least I know she's lived a very full and happy kitty life! I'm just hoping that her brother Reily won't come down with the same affliction, that way we can have many more "Kee-Kee" years with Taylor:-)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear that your cat is not doing so well! Ours pets are such an important part of our lives(and our children's) that I can't imagine not having them. I hope the IV works and that she gets better!

MySanSouci said...

We are so sad to hear about your dear Abby. Hopefully her next year will be a happy one...for everyone. :-)

Sara said...

So sorry to hear about your cat!