Sunday, May 30, 2010

Southern Italy

Our third and final Italian cooking class took us all the way south for the freshest seafood (Whole Foods in our case not the Mediterranean Sea or the Adriatic Sea-I wish). Not only did we learn to bake a whole fish in salt but we also tasted the best eggplant parmesan. Our menu for the evening consisted of:

wine
Eggplant Involtini
wine
Linguine alle Vongole (clams in shells)
wine
Whole Baked Snapper in Salt
wine
Tiramisu (a favorite of ours)
wine
(we love wine)
The test with this menu was to get my meat-and-potato-eating-English-husband to like fish! To him, fish tastes fishy, not enjoyable enough to want to cook it at home and eat it. Well Chef Boyle was pleasantly surprised when she swayed my husband over to the fish lovers side.
I don't have any pictures of us cooking this menu, lets be honest here folks, we have to really prepare to have a whole dead fish in our house! But I will tell you that it's on my summer to-do-list right up there with finally painting our master bedroom! Oh yes, the Curtis-Wellings will attempt to cook a whole fish. I never shy away from a challenge!! Until then, I'll let you feast your eyes on this lovely photo I found on the Internet...

It's really neat how the salt forms this layer on top of the fish and holds all the moisture in and then just flakes off before you serve it-AND IT DOESN'T EVEN TASTE FISHY OR SALTY!

No comments: