Saturday, June 26, 2010

Japanese Bread Crumbs

PANKO...
Yes, that's right I've hit the international aisle at HEB! Ever since we took a cooking class I've wanted to cook something with PANKO. PANKO is a Japanese style bread crumb that is light and fluffy and oh-so-delicious! It's nothing like italian bread crumbs or even our mothers "Shake-n-Bake"-you have to buy a bag and try it if you haven't. You can PANKO anything and it just gives it that little extra crunchy texture that I love. PANKO is white but when you fry it or bake it, it turns golden brown-yummy!
Steelhead vs. Rainbow...

I had to do a little research for my latest fish cuisine. I love all "white" fish in general, so when I saw a recipe for Almond-Crusted Trout I got excited. However, when you go to buy trout they have two different kinds: Steelhead and Rainbow. There in front of me was this Alaskan Steelhead Trout that was pink in color and an Alaskan Rainbow Trout that was white in color. I've obviously only had Rainbow trout my entire life because I never knew there was another type. This is where the research on my part came into play, so this part might be boring for some, but I found it interesting and I can say that I learned something "new" today.

Many people feel that steelheads and rainbows are exactly the same fish. In truth, they are similar but not the same, despite the fact that they both belong to the same species. There are several differences between the two, both in appearance and in habits.
Steelheads are much more like salmon than they are like rainbows. This is because of one key; they live a portion of their lives in the ocean. Rainbows do not. Young steelheads remain in fresh water for around a year, sometimes longer. Only then do they work downstream to the ocean. This gives them quite an advantage because they are usually larger and stronger before they reach the ocean, so are slightly less likely to be eaten by predators.
Rainbows remain in the same bodies of water through their entire life cycle, never going to the ocean. The body of water can include lakes, naturally, however they can also include streams and rivers. This is an important distinction because a rainbow may have access to the ocean, but will not leave the river or stream of the river or stream.

Almond-Crusted Trout & Orange Couscous with Mint

Now to the good stuff. Tonight I completed my final "fish trial" before the big 4th of July WHOLE FISH. The orange glaze (a little help from the chef at Andrew's work) that went with the fish was delicious and everyone loved it except Taylor. He was happy with just eating the salad (the only greens he'll eat besides peapods), fresh oranges, and couscous. We did manage to make him eat 3 bites of fish-he tried it but was not a fan. This recipe was definitely more involved than the salmon a few weeks ago. I'm soooo glad that I did the salmon before this one. Game on, I think I'm confident and ready to fulfill one of my summer to-do-list items... bring on the whole Red Snapper (or similar fish if I can't find that one)!

No comments: