Saturday, July 25, 2009

Book Review

Nineteen Minutes

I just finished this book last night (took me about 2 months to read-easily distracted during the summer I guess). I thought it was a really good book especially if you're a mother and an educator. For me it hit home on both of those fronts. It's a fictional story about the lives that are affected after a school shooting. The most important thing I learned from reading it... bullying starts at a young age and it's my job as a teacher to recognize it, intervene on it, and talk about it! If you're looking for your next book I would recommend this one. If you've already read it tell me what you thought.

Here's an excerpt:

In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn; color your hair; watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five. Nineteen minutes is how long it took the Tennessee Titans to sell out of tickets to the playoffs. It’s the amount of time it takes to listen to the Yes song Close to the Edge. It’s the length of a sitcom, minus the commercials. It’s the driving distance from the Vermont border to the town of Sterling, NH. In nineteen minutes, you can order a pizza and get it delivered. You can read a story to a child or have your oil changed. You can walk two miles. You can sew a hem. In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world; or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I know what you mean. I read We Need To Talk About Kevin. It's along the same lines and about a school massacre. It was asking more if it's nature or nurture that causes kids to do this. It's pretty disturbing!